IPL 2021 – MS Dhoni, CSK begins training: Chennai Super Kings players including skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni began preparations for the forthcoming IPL, having cleared their RT-PCR tests during the stipulated quarantine period.
Apart from the legendary Dhoni, senior batsman Ambati Rayudu, Ruturaj Gaikwad and a few others are part of the camp that got underway on Monday.
Tamil Nadu’s N Jagadeesan, R Sai Kishore and C Hari Nishaanth, who was picked up during last month’s auction, trained with the likes of Dhoni and Rayudu. Also present was medium-pacer Harishankar Reddy, another new recruit.
“The CSK players completed their quarantine requirements and began practice yesterday. Gradually, the others will join the camp after a period of quarantine,” CSK CEO Kasi Viswanathan said.
A few others like leg-spinner Karn Sharma and Bhagath Varma, who was picked during the auctions recently are expected to arrive in the coming days, Viswanathan said.
IPL 2021: CSK CEO, ‘We are thinking to shift our camp to Mumbai in 2 weeks’
CSK meanwhile is seriously contemplating shifting its “training camp” to Mumbai two weeks before their 1st match in IPL 2021. Dhoni’s teams confirmed to InsideSport that with neutral venue rules coming into existence they are deliberating to shift training base in Mumbai.
“Yes certainly we will think about the possibility of shifting our camp but a decision will be taken in a week’s time. As of now we are starting our camp in Chennai from tomorrow (April 9) with the players who are available,” said CSK CEO Kashi Vishwanathan.
Dhoni had arrived in the city on Wednesday last.
This year’s IPL begins with a match between defending champions Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers Bangalore in Chennai on April 9. Three-time champion CSK begins its campaign the next day in Mumbai against Delhi Capitals.
Interestingly, in this year’s IPL, all matches will be played at neutral venues, no team will play at their home venue.
CSK had during the recent mini-auction picked up England all-rounder Moeen Ali for Rs 7 crore, apart from Karnataka all-rounder K Gowtham (for Rs 9.25 crore) and Cheteshwar Pujra (Rs 50 lakh).
IPL 2021 Venues & Schedule: 10 Top Highlights of the IPL 2021 schedule
The IPL Governing Council on Sunday announced the schedule for VIVO Indian Premier League 2021 to be held in India. After nearly two years, the IPL extravaganza will return home with Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai & Kolkata hosting the marquee event.
- The season will kickstart on 9th April, 2021 in Chennai with a high octane clash between defending champions MI vs RCB i.e Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- All Matches at Neutral Venues, Caravan Format will be applied
- Each team is set to play at four venues during the league stage.
- Out of the 56 league matches, Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata & Bengaluru will host 10 matches each while Ahmedabad and Delhi will host 8 matches each.
- One of the highlights of this edition of the VIVO IPL will be the fact that all matches will be played at neutral venues, no team will play at their home venue. All teams will play at 4 out of 6 venues during the league stage.
- There will be a total of 11 double headers where 6 teams will play three afternoon matches & two teams will play two afternoon matches. The afternoon games are slated for a 3:30 PM IST start while the evening games will have a 7:30 PM IST start.
- The World’s Largest Cricket Stadium – Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad will host the Playoffs as well as the final on 30th May, 2021 which promises to be a visual spectacle. The newly-built stadium that hosted India’s second Pink Ball fixture at home with great grandeur will host its first ever IPL.
- The fixtures of the tournament have been mapped in a way that every team will travel only three times during the league stage, thus reducing commute and minimising risk.
- The VIVO IPL this year at home will be played behind closed doors to begin with and a call on allowing spectators will be taken at a later stage of the tournament.